The NHS Leadership Academy provides leadership development for people of all backgrounds and experiences across health and care. Whether you work in primary care or an Arm’s Length Body – we can help you on your leadership journey.
- First port of call if you’re looking to build a strong foundation of leadership skills
- For both clinical and non-clinical staff
- Leads to an NHS Leadership Academy award in Leadership Foundations.
- For first time leaders in healthcare
- Six months long with 100 hours of online study, plus three face-to-face behavioural workshops delivered locally
- Leads to an NHS Leadership Academy Award in Healthcare Leadership
- For clinical and non-clinical middle leaders aspiring to lead large and complex programmes, departments, services or systems of care
- Nine months long with a minimum of 4-5 hours time commitment per week
- Learning methods are online along with face-to-face workshops and facilitated impact groups
- For middle to senior-level leaders aspiring to take on a more senior role while, at the same time, looking to have a wider impact
- 24-month standard full programme (18 -month programme for those eligible via APL)
- Leads to an MSc in Healthcare Leadership and NHS Leadership Award
- Designed to develop senior leaders looking to move into a board role
- Accelerates individuals into executive roles, helping them perform better at board level, and help boards better meet challenges today and enable change for tomorrow
- Leads to an NHS Leadership Academy Award in Executive Healthcare Leadership
- For directors aspiring to lead at chief executive level in an NHS accountable role focused on both service provision and system development within the next 12-24 months
- Aimed at leaders at chief executive level in an NHS accountable role, focused on both service provision and system development.
- Designed to support chief executives with their personal development and ensure they are the best they can be in these challenging roles, both for themselves and their organisations/systems.
- Leadership development programme for black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) colleagues working in bands 5 to 7 or equivalent
- Between two to three months long and runs across four or five residential dates depending on banding
- For senior black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) leaders working in the NHS or providing NHS funded services (in England) at band 8a, or clinical equivalent or above.
- Aimed at prospective and accredited mentors who could give colleagues timely, relevant and impactful mentoring support during difficult times.
- As a mentor, you’ll provide, relevant and impactful mentoring to empower them to a range of different problems.
- Transitioning back into a complex and changeable system can be a difficult and lonely journey, which is why we’re offering NHS leaders at all levels an inclusive mentoring support package
- There are two opportunities being offered on the programme:
- Train as a Return to Work Mentor
- Access the programme as a Return to Work Mentee
- Coaching is one of the most powerful leadership development interventions an organisation can deploy. We want to harness this power to make a meaningful difference to diversity and inclusion within the NHS by recruiting 300 committed and ambitious coaches to develop as a Coach who has specialised in inclusion.
- Through this programme, as an inclusion coach, you will be trained to deploy powerful coaching interventions with participants on our positive action programmes.
- We identify, recruit and develop approximately 200 talented graduate trainees who bring bags of potential with them to become future leaders in the NHS.
- The Scheme ranges from 24 to 30 months, depending on which leadership opportunity you pick.
- Offering leadership opportunities in six areas:
health informatics management
human resources management
policy and strategy management
health analysis management
- This programme is a unique and exciting opportunity for individuals and organisations to understand the challenges of a health care system outside the UK.
- With both personal and professional benefits gained.
- The Scheme has a range of different aims to help develop leadership.
- There are currently two programmes within HCLS: 2025 Leaders and Aspiring Director programme.
- Open to all registered healthcare professionals working in NHS funded care, who are clinicians at one below board/governing body level.
- 36-months standard programme (including 12-month leadership development)
- University professional training and development.