Applications for the programme are currently closed, however we will be re-opening applications for further cohorts in due course. Please keep an eye on our website for further updates or register your interest. Please note that workshops will be delivered virtually for the time being.
Leadership for today. Leadership for tomorrow. The Nye Bevan programme has been specifically designed to develop senior leaders. It’s been shown to accelerate individuals into executive-level roles, helping them perform better at board level, and help boards better meet operational challenges today and enable change for tomorrow. It also supports senior leaders to move beyond leadership within their area of professional expertise, into executive roles that span organisational boundaries.
Designed with national and international experts in health and organisational performance, the programme offers support and learning to build personal resilience, confidence and capabilities over 12 months. The Nye Bevan programme has developed over 1,000 senior leaders, with nearly 40% of recent graduates reporting being in a more senior role, which 90% directly attribute to the programme.
Built around self-managed learning and peer assessment, participants will need to include others as active contributors in their learning and demonstrate how behaviours develop and change positively over the period of the programme. You will need to work across systems, forming alliances and collaborating across boundaries. You will need to demonstrate your knowledge and practice of how structures, systems and behaviours contribute to equity and inequities for NHS patients and staff and you will also need to understand your own biases, blind spots and beliefs and be able to understand power dynamics and how you use your own personal power.
For the individual:
- Develop the skills, knowledge, attitudes and behaviours to succeed and operate successfully at executive level as part of the board
- Learn how to move beyond leadership within their area of professional expertise, into executive roles that span organisational boundaries
- Be part of a programme with a world-class expert faculty of global business leaders and educationalists, using state-of-the-art online learning technologies to help prepare for the challenges of executive leadership
- Tackle real workplace issues, reflecting what is needed at board level to promote safe, high-performing, and continuously-improving organisations
- Build their personal resilience, confidence, influence, and capabilities to prepare for the challenges and demands of executive director
- Focus on their behaviours and challenges to improve organisational outcomes and patient care
- Enhance their ability to influence local and national policies
- Become critically aware of their personal approach to leadership – biases, blind spots, attitude to diversity – and how to continue to develop their leadership after the programme
- Build a powerful, regional and national support network of like-minded, influential leaders
- Work more strategically with greater collaboration across organisations and systems of care
- Make immediate, positive changes in their health and care organisations to provide better services, increase patient outcomes and experiences, improve staff engagement and morale
- Improve their personal impact to help drive progress to build and lead a culture of inclusive, patient-centred, compassionate care
- Graduate with the highly sought after NHS Leadership Academy Award in Executive Healthcare Leadership, evidencing clear improvement of inclusive and compassionate leadership skills and behaviours as well as improving career prospects and helping to accelerate individuals into executive roles
For the organisation:
Organisations will benefit from supporting their senior leaders to participate on the Nye Bevan programme through:
- Investing to improve recruitment and retention, reducing costs with interim roles and vacancies at executive levels and the associated drops in productivity
- Increasing the number of inspiring and innovative executive leaders in the organisation’s talent pipeline for better succession planning
- Developing the skills, knowledge, attitudes and behaviours of their senior leaders to succeed and operate successfully at executive level as part of the board
- Participants building their personal resilience, confidence, influence, and capabilities to prepare for the challenges and demands of executive director
- Participants enhancing their ability to influence local and national policies
- Improving the organisation’s success by participants making immediate, positive changes to provide better services, increase patient outcomes and experiences, and improving staff engagement and morale
- Participants working more strategically with greater collaboration across organisations and systems of care
- Participants building a powerful, regional and national support network of like-minded, influential leaders
- Participants tackling real workplace issues, reflecting what is needed at board level to promote safe, high-performing, and continuously-improving organisations
- Improved leadership practice having a greater positive impact on organisational culture, and inclusive, patient-centred, compassionate care
- Creating a pipeline of clinical and non-clinical talent ready to take on executive director positions