How you will learn
Delivery of the programme is through a combination of four face-to-face experiential residential workshops, up to seven self-managed learning sets, and online via our state-of-the-art campus. You’ll be working for at least 15 hours a week, in which you’ll explore themes that support your development of self, teams and organisations.
Following a 24-month programme of part-time study, you will be awarded a MSc in Healthcare Leadership and NHS Leadership Academy Award in Senior Healthcare leadership.
For detailed information on programme structure click here.
24-month programme: £6,000
For those working outside of health and care please contact us to discuss costs by emailing [email protected].
Your organisation may be able to cover the cost of places on the programme. We recommend you engage your organisation early in conversations regarding your application to provide ample time to explore potential funding options. You will have to have confirmed funding with your organisation before applying for the programme.
Participants are also able to self-fund a place on the programme.
The NHS Leadership Academy places diversity and inclusion at the heart of everything that we do. We pay attention to inclusion in relation to both content and how our programmes are delivered. We also strive to ensure that our programmes are accessible.
The Academy’s bursary scheme supports talented individuals from under-represented groups across leadership levels who, without financial help, would miss out on the opportunity to access its excellent leadership development programmes. There are a very limited number of bursaries (covering the programme fee), which are available to those who have exhausted all other possibilities for funding and belong to groups such as:
- People with disabilities
To find out more including applying for a bursary, please visit: Bursary information
Watch this short video (2:50 min) where Karen Jessop, Elizabeth Gareth Anderson participant, talks about the benefits of the programme.
Individual and Organisation benefits:
- Learn from innovative, world-class healthcare experts and use ground-breaking learning technologies to prepare for the challenges of senior leadership.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the patient experience.
- Strengthen your existing leadership practice through cutting edge theory and evidence.
- Enable more strategic and greater collaboration across large and complex programmes, departments, services and systems of care.
- Bring immediate positive and productive changes to your team(s), organisations, services and patients in areas such as increasing staff morale, improving patient experience, effective service redesign, and providing financial benefits.
- Improve your personal impact to help drive progress in your team(s) and inspire your organisation to build a culture of inclusive, patient centred care.
- Build a powerful, regional and national support network of like-minded, influential leaders
- Increase your resilience to meet the demands of senior leadership within the challenging, transforming environment of the NHS.
- Graduate with a highly sought-after leadership development qualification, improving your career and promotion prospects across the NHS.
How to apply
Before applying you’ll need to seek the endorsement of your line manager and organisation as they will be required to support you throughout the programme.
The application form includes:
- A 500-word personal statement explaining why you’re interested in studying on this programme, your relevant experience and provide a clear argument for why you should have a place.
- Supporting certificate of highest educational attainment e.g. degree certificate
- Terms and conditions
We particularly encourage all colleagues from underrepresented groups to consider all our leadership development offers.
If you want to talk to us about your leadership development, please contact the programme team by email at: [email protected].
Please check that you are available to attend all workshops before selecting your preferred cohort. Early application is encouraged as cohorts will close when they are at maximum capacity.
To check your eligibility for the programme please click here.