The Mary Seacole programme is six months long with 100 hours of online study, plus three face-to-face behavioural workshops delivered locally. The programme can be undertaken in one of two ways:
- Nationally with multiple intakes a year
- Through a locally-tailored programme provided by your individual healthcare organisation and consortia
The Academy has also developed a locally-tailored programme, which is currently being explored by some early adopters.
Learning is accessed through:
- The Academy’s virtual campus, which includes programme films, interactive content, discussion forums and online resources
- Three one day face to face skills workshops working with expert facilitators delivered around the country
The programme is delivered in 12 units, each taking between five and ten hours of online study time.
- Units 1-8 covers leadership fundamentals and build on each other as the programme progresses
- Units 9-12 are flexible and can be taken at any point in the programme. These relate to the core management skills of:
– Fundamentals of Finance
– Recruitment and selection
– Fundamentals of HR
– Appraisals and annual review
- Assessment is through undertaking online activity, attendance at all three face to face workshops, contributing to the online discussion forums throughout and submission of a 2,000 word assignment demonstrating how you’ve developed and applied your leadership.
- Successful completion will lead to an NHS Leadership Academy Award in Healthcare Leadership